Pages

Monday, January 13, 2020

Music Monday: BCee & Blu Mar Ten – Protected Secrets


I've decided to do a lighter weekly post in order to give some variety to the heavier stuff I'll be publishing on here, as well as give me a reason to write something when I'm not sure what else to talk about!

Enter: Music Monday. Every Monday I'll be sharing a tune I've heard in the previous week that I think is especially good. It'll mostly be drum and bass, because drum and bass is the best genre of music ever to exist, but on occasion it could be a house tune or maybe even something instrumental. I am a proud fan of ultra-twee and cheesy indie-pop, so watch out for those.

To kick off the series, here's a beautiful little collab from two household names in liquid drum and bass: BCee and Blu Mar Ten. 'Protected Secrets' has all the hallmarks of the soulful sound that has largely captured the liquid scene in recent years: natural breaks, shuffling shakers, atmospheric textures accompanied by menacing bass tones that stop the tune from ever sounding too airy. Topping off the track, DRS, the lyrical Duracell Bunny of DnB, lays down beautifully-written bars with trademark sincerity.

Give it a listen – it's very good. I'm currently in the midst of some fairly intensive essay-writing at the minute for my MA, so things might be quiet on here until after next Monday. That said, the essays I'm writing concern Nitzan and Bichler's 'Capital as Power' and the Latin American debt crisis of the 1980s, so I might do a piece on both once I've submitted them.

No comments:

Post a Comment